Five Dudes, Two Beds, One Couch, and a Week-Long Journey

5/2/2010


It all started on Tuesday morning at 6 AM, an hour of the day that I had forgotten existed up until that very day. 8ish hours later we reached Bloomington, MN. Right across the street from our hotel is the Mall of America. What an overwhelming first impression to stare at upon exiting the uncomfortable cradle of sleep that is the 15-passenger vans in which we've been traveling this week. Sharing a room with me for the week are one Zach Martin, Joe Madras, and my comrades/partners-in-crime, Patrick Parsons and Travis Jay Dahlhauser. Five dudes in a room with two beds and a couch isn't necessarily the most comfortable extended stay living arrangement; but, we're making due with the accommodations provided. The first show we saw was "How To Talk Minnesotan: The Musical," which was a superb musical look at the nomenclature and dialect of this beautiful state's inhabitants. That night, we watched "Women's Minyan," which was a show that I wasn't much enthralled with due to the uncomfortable seating. Thursday morning, we enjoyed a fantastic showing of "Queens of Burlesque," which was a rip-roaring comedy centered around a 50s burlesque club in Minnesota. Ripping good laughs were shared by all. Following that was "Dead Man's Cell Phone," which was a dark comedy with some hysterical high points. We started off Friday morning with a children's theater performance of "Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type," which I enjoyed much more than I initially anticipated. It was a great way to start off my morning. Friday night treated us to a three-hour performance of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" at the Jungle Theater in Minneapolis. This play was full of laughs and equal amounts of riveting, dramatic delivery. The three hours, although at times uncomfortable as the dickens, flew by quickly. Saturday afternoon delivered "M. Butterfly," which was an absolutely astounding show that I recommend all to both read and see. It would take hours to verbally do this show justice. And mere hours ago we sat through a nearly three hour performance of "The King and I," which, truth be told, I hated. And now, I sit here typing this to you, my loyal fans, from our five-man suite high atop the Bloomington skyline, overlooking the man-made marvel that is the Mall of America. This is the part where I remove the power cord of my laptop from the wall to prevent a potential fire hazard, close the lid on this ol' machine, and nestle myself into bed for a long night's sleep so that I may get up tomorrow and do it all over again. Until next time, friends, may you enjoy being nestled in the beautiful hills of Canton, Missouri.


Posted at 12:00 AM by Beau Becraft